Divided into three sections, the 685-m-long Mukkombu Dam or Upper Anaicut is located on the outskirts of Tiruchirappalli. Drawing inspiration from Kallanai Dam, built by Karikalan Chola in the 2nd century, Sir Arthur Cotton supervised the construction of the dam in the 19th century. Also known as Upper Dam, the construction of this site was completed in 1838 on the banks of River Kaveri; it is at this point Kollidam, a tributary of River Kaveri branches out. The area gained popularity amongst tourists and locals alike due to the various small excursions that lead up to the dam. The surrounding area is home to several manicured gardens, an amusement park featuring a scattering of attractions and ripe opportunities for fishing and boating.

Other Attractions in Tiruchirapalli