Located on the outskirts of Tiruchirappalli, Grand Anaicut is a 330 m long and 30 m wide dam. Also called Kallanai, this engineering marvel was constructed in the 2nd century by Chola ruler Karikalan Chola. The Grand Anaicut is a delight for nature lovers and history buffs as it has been the centre of ancient irrigation system, which has kept the diverse flora of the region alive over the years. In the 19th century, the Lower Anaicut was built across River Kollidam by Sir Arthur Cotton. The dam was initially constructed to divert water to the delta districts, thereby providing the requisite water for irrigation and cultivation of the fertile region. In 1804, a British military engineer, Captain Caldwell supervised the remodelling of the dam by raising its height by 0.69 m so as to supply more water for irrigation purposes.

Other Attractions in Tiruchirapalli