Infused with an old-world charm, a legacy of the 400-year-long Portuguese rule, the quaint island of Diu is tucked away in the southern fringes of Gujarat and is connected to the state with a bridge. Speckled with ancient ruins of Portuguese forts, bungalows, churches and villas, Diu is drenched in colonial culture, traces of which can be found in its architecture, cuisine and handicrafts. Dotted with golden expanses of sand lapped by the green-and-blue Arabian Sea, Diu is an ideal secluded tourist destination. Its northern side faces dramatic salt pans and tidal marshes, while the southern part is kissed by rocky limestone cliffs and pristine beaches.Spanning over 21 km along the coast, Diu was a prominent seaport and a naval base in the 14th and 16th centuries.

It got its name from Sanskrit word, 'dweep' meaning island. Legend has it that Diu was once ruled by demon king Jallandhar, who was beheaded by Lord Krishna. The Gazetteer of Goa, Daman and Diu states Diu was known as 'Jallandhar Kshetra' during Satyug. A temple of Jallandhar still exists in the island city. Between 320-322 BC, the Mauryans ruled Diu. Then came the Guptas (415-467 AD), the Maitrakas (470-788 AD) and Chavdas (789-941 AD). The Sultan of Oman ruled here between 14th and 16th centuries and then the Portuguese established their rule in 1529.