Chunar has an immense fort overlooking the Ganga. This place has been the scene of battles since 1540 when Sher Shah took it from Humayun. Akbar recaptured it in 1575. In the mid 18th century it was appropriated by Awadh and subsequently, the British. The fort has a sundial and a huge well and affords a splendid view of the Ganga.