This is one of the Five Celestial Dance Sabhas [Divine Dance Stages] of Lord Siva. This temple is called as Thamara Sabhai. Most popular and famous twin temple of Kanthimathi Nellaiyappar dedicated to Goddess Parvathi [called as Kanthimathi] and Lord Siva [called as Nellaiyappar] is located in an area of 14 acres. It is one of the biggest of its kind in Tamil Nadu in the heart of the Tirunelveli Town, on the banks of Tamiraparani River.
The Musical Pillars in the Mani Mandapam which produces sound in various pitches when struck, was the creation of Nindrasir Nedumaran [Koon Pandian] in the 7th Century. The Somavara Mandapam, the 1000 pillared hall, and the Tamira Sabha with excellent wood work, are the most attractive and exotic structures of this huge Temple Complex.
In the Earlier Years, the Nellaiappar and Kanthimathi temples were two independent structures with space in between. It was the great efforts of Vadamalaiyappa Pillaiyan who connected both the temples by building a structure called ‘Sangili Mandapam’ or called as Chain Mandapam in English, in the year 1647. A Vasantha Mandapam with 100 pillars, in the midst of a Flower Garden to the west of the Sangili Mandapam was the contribution of Thiruvenkadakrishna Mudaliar in the year 1756.