The city of Sultanpur (which gives its name to the district) is in the East on the right bank of the Gomti River, while the original town was situated on the left bank of the Gomti. It is said to have been founded by Kush, son of Rama, and to have been named after him Kusapura or Kusabhavanpur. In the Chowk (town square) there is a clock tower. On the banks of the Gomti is Sitakund, where Sita bathed as she accompanied her husband (Lord Rama) on his exile. Bathing fairs are held here in Chaitra (March/April) and Kartika (Oct/Nov). Opposite the collectorate office is a church known as Christ Church which was opened and consecrated on the 16th of November 1869. Next to the church, on the south side, stands Victoria Manzil, built in commemoration of the first jubilee of Queen Victoria. Now it is called Sunder Lal Memorial Hall and houses the office of the Municipal Board. A stadium, named Pant stadium was built in the city in 1954-55.
The town is dotted with many ancient religious sites that are mostly visited by locals and travellers from neighboring towns and cities. Majorly the ardent followers of Lord Ram and Lord Hanuman arrive here to satiate their desire for pilgrimage.
Sultanpur Airport is situated in Sultanpur city in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.
Sultanpur Junction railway station is a very important railway station in Sultanpur district, Uttar Pradesh.
Sultanpur is well connected to major cities in India
Share your moments