This monumental palace was built in 1636 AD by the ruler by King Tirumalai Nayak, one of the leading kings of the Nayak dynasty which ruled Madurai. The building, which we see today, is the main palace where the king lived. The original palace complex was four times larger. The palace complex consisted of mainly two parts. The imposing edifice is famous for the 'stucco work' on its domes and impressive arches. The 'Sorgavilasam' (celestial pavilion) constructed entirely of brick and mortar without the support of a single rafter or girder, is a marvel of Indo-Saracenic architectural style. There is a museum in the palace building, which has sections dealing with the history of Madurai and the art and architecture of Tamil Nadu.