The Jama Masjid is a historical mosque that is located in the midst of Leh, it is the biggest mosque of Ladakh. This was constructed in 1666-67 A.D. as per an agreement between the Ruler of Ladakh, Deldan Namgyal and the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb. Eventually a settlement was reached, wherein Mughals provided protection to Ladakhi Kings in return for a fee, with the construction of Jama Masjid as its symbolic seal.
Located in the Main Bazaar of Leh, Jama Masjid today is open only to men. A beautiful, stately double domed structure, the original mosque was replaced with the present day, intricately carved structure a few years ago. Built by Singe Namgyal as a tribute to his Muslim mother, the mosque, an exquisite work of Turkish-Iranian architecture, stands majestically in the main bazaar.