Jhansi Fort was built by King Bir Singh Judeo of Orchha in the 17th Century, on top of a hill as an army stronghold. This fort played a very important role in the revolution of 1857 and has been a witness to the fiery battle led by Rani Laxmi Bai. There are temples of Lord Shiva and Lord Ganesha within the fort. The Karak Bijli and Bhawani Shankar cannon of the queen are also kept inside the fort. There is also a museum which has a collection of sculpture and provides an insight into the history of Bundelkhand. Below the walls of the fort is a depiction in the form of diorama, the bloody battle in which Rani of Jhansi gave her life to save her people from the hands of the British.