The then Sultan of Delhi Firoz Shah Tughlaq (1351-1388) had constructed this palace. Its strong structure built out of rubble masonry with thick lime plaster made it survive many centuries. The design inspiration of its arches and pillars are believed to be taken from Hindu temples. The palace complex consists of an open courtyard surrounded by two and three-storeyed structures. A passage with steps leading to the terrace is embedded in the massive western wall of the palace. This passage was most possibly meant for guarding the roofs of the palace. It has several strongholds with hollow cores and has a pillared hall connected with other rooms and cells of the palace. The red sandstone structures on the eastern side of the palace and a lotus tank on the terrace, however, are of much later origin.