Often called the commercial capital of Goa, Margao serves as a service and transport hub to the areas of South Goa. Margao has an old-worldly charm about it because of its Portuguese churches, and some magnificent specimens of old Portuguese houses, complete with shady balcaos (porches) and oyster-shell windows in its Borda area. The Largo de Igreja, or the Church of the Holy Spirit as it is also known, dominates the entrance to the city. The church area is surrounded by beautiful old residential houses still in pristine condition. The church was built by the Portuguese in 1675 and is one of the finest examples of late-Baroque architecture in Goa. The famous Colva beach is just 6 km away from Margao.