This temple had its origins in Kushasthali, Cortalim, a village in Saxty (Salcette) which fell to the invading Portuguese in 1543. In the year 1560, when the Portuguese started conversions in Salcete taluka, the Saraswats of Vatsa Gotra moved the Manguesh Linga from the original site to its present location at Mangueshi in Priol village. Since the time of the shifting, the temple has been rebuilt and renovated twice during the reign of the Marathas and yet another time in the year 1890. The final renovation occurred in the year 1973 when a golden kalasha (holy vessel) was fitted atop the tallest dome of the temple.
The main temple is dedicated to Bhagavan Manguesh, an incarnation of Lord Shiva, worshipped here in the form of Shiva linga.