Situated on the coast of the island, the Diu Fort was built by the Portuguese Governor Nuno-Da-Cunha between 1535 and 1541 AD. There are three main churches located within the fort- Church of St. Francis of Assisi, St. Paul's Church, and St. Thomas Church. Apart from the churches, there is also the Shiva temple, known as Gangeshwar Mahadev which is a very famous tourist attraction. Venetian Gothic style bungalows and Havelis (mansions) which used to belong to upscale colonial Portuguese and Indian merchants are seen in the Makata bylanes, near the Zapata Gate of the fort. The fort also provides sea access for trade and commodities with Khambat, Bharuch and Surat in Gujarat.