Built by Colonel James Skinner, St. James church was consecrated in 1836. Combining the styles of Greek and Roman architecture, the church is designed in a cruciform plan with the entrance towards the west and the altar towards the east. Its dome interestingly is very similar to that of Florence Cathedral in Venice in Italy. Porches on the north, south and the west provide the building with three entrances. The central portion of the church is an octagon with circular columns supporting the dome.