This garden was laid out in 1874 by Mr.J.D.Sim, the then Secretary to Government and Major Murray, acting Superintendent of the Nilgiris forests.Hence the park was named after J.D.Sim. Initially it was aimed as a pleasure resort for the residents and visitors. Later, the park has been transformed into an exotic Park . The Park is spread over 12 hectares of undulated land and possesses a number of natural advantages at an elevation of around 1798 meters .The park cum botanical Garden contains many species of trees and shrubs not found in Ooty. Annual Fruit and Vegetables show is held every year in the month of May. It attracts tourists in large numbers.The Pomological research station that is located near Sim’s park conducts research on Horticulture and POMOLOGY. The Pasteur Institute, that produces anti-rabi vaccine, DTP, DY and IT, is also located, just across Sim’s Park.