It is 25 kms from Poompuhar and popularly called as Tharangambadi [It means ‘Village of Dancing Waves’ ]. Tharangambadi was a Danish colony between 1620 to 1845. Danish Fort and buildings of Danish architecture are the main attraction of Tharangambadi. After 225 years of rule, The Danes, sold this land to British East India Company in the year 1845.
The Danish Fort of Dansborg was built in 1620. The fort was surrounded by a moat, access to the fort being over a drawbridge. Along the Rampart; Governor’s complex, Church, Residential quarters, Barracks, Ware houses, Kitchen and Jail complexes were built to form a town within. Eastern side had the main part of the Fort facing the Sea.