This is one of the few major forts in Rajasthan which is not built on a hilltop, and was built in the reign of Raja Rai Singh, the sixth ruler of Bikaner, who ruled from 1571 to 1611 AD. The construction was completed in 1594. Despite repeated attempts to capture the fort, it was not taken, except for a lone-day occupation by Kamran Mirza, second son of the Mughal Emperor Babur. In the battle, the Mughals were defeated by the Rathors. Built over an area of 5.28 hectares, the fort includes several palaces, temples and pavilions, in a mix of architectural styles.