Adalaj Step Well

ADALAJ STEP WELL

Set in the quiet village of Adalaj, 19 km from Ahmedabad, this step well or ‘vav’ has served as a resting place for many pilgrims and caravans along their trade routes. Built in 1499 by Queen Rudabai, wife of the Vaghela chief, Veersinh, this five-storey stepwell was not just a cultural and utilitarian space, but also a spiritual refuge. It is believed that villagers would come everyday in the morning to fill water, offer prayers to the deities carved into the walls and interact with each other in the cool shade of the vav. The stepwell has three entrance stairs and is a spectacular example of Indo-Islamic architecture and design with intricate Islamic floral patterns and Hindu and Jain symbolism.

NEARBY ATTRACTIONS