According to mythology, Lord Vishnu had cut off the body of Mata Sati into 51 pieces with his ‘Sudarshana Chakra’ and all these pieces fell at different places throughout the country and these places are known as ‘Shaktipeeths’. It is said that 'right foot' of Mata Sati fell at Matabari on the south-western outskirts of Udaipur town. This ‘pithasthan’ (centre of pilgrimage) is also known as Kurma Pith because the shape of the temple premises resembles that of "Kurma" or tortoise. The idol of ‘Maa Kali’, presiding deity of the temple, stands in the sanctum sanctorum and it is made of reddish black stone, popularly known in Bengali as ‘Kashtipathar’.
This temple is one of the 51 holiest ‘Shaktipeeths’ (Shrine of the goddess of power) in India as per Hindu mythology.
The Goddess ‘Kali’ is worshipped in her incarnation as ‘Shoroshi’ (sixteen-year-old girl). An idol of smaller size of Maa Kali called 'Chotto Maa’ stands beside the presiding deity, it used to be reportedly carried along by the kings during hunting expeditions and also during war for worship in tents. The temple consists of square type sanctum of the typical Bengali hut structure with a conical dome. The temple was constructed in 1501 A.D. by the then Maharaja Dhanya Manikya. In the eastern side of the temple there is the famous ‘Kalyan Sagar’ lake where fishes and tortoises of huge size are found and devotees feed them with "Muri" (puffed rice) and biscuits. No fishing is permitted in the Kalyan Sagar lake. Every year on ‘Diwali’, a famous ‘Mela’ takes place near the temple which is visited by lakhs of pilgrims.