The archaeological museum was established by Sir John Marshall in 1919 but because of lack of space, it was transferred to the present site in 1966. Most of the exhibits are from Sanchi but some have been brought in from Vidisha, Gulgaon etc.

Among the most popular exhibits at the Sanchi Museum is the crown of the lion capitol of Ashoka. This is the sculpture that has inspired the National Emblem of India and attracts a large number of people to the museum. Among other sculptures that should not be missed are the Nagaraja sculpture from the Sunga dynasty (2nd century), an intricate Yakshi statue from the 1st century, and a statue of Lord Buddha in a meditative pose from the 7th century.

other Attractions in Sanchi