Sights to See
Priyadarshini Point (Forsyth Point)
This vantage viewing point marks the place from where Pachmarhi was discovered by Captain Forsyth in 1857.
Pachmarhi's most impressive ravine has a 300 feet high precipice and dramatically steep sides.
Apsara Vihar (Fairy Pool)
Easily accessible from the Jai Stambh, it is an ideal picnic spot for family and children, since it is shallow and deepens only towards the base of the pool.
Constructed in 1862, the Bison Lodge is the oldest house in Pachmarhi. It now houses a beautiful museum depicting the rich flora and fauna of Pachmarhi.
Built in 1892 by the British, the Catholic Church is a blend of the French and Irish architecture with Belgium stained-glass windows. The church has a cemetery attached to it and graves date from 1859, World War I & II.
Built in 1875 by the British, this Church's architecture is fascinating; its altar has a hemispherical dome on top with its ribs ending with faces of angels. The stained glass panes adorning the walls and rear of the altar were imported from Europe. The nave of the church does not contain even a single pillar for support. The baptismal font is a rare brass piece and the bell is as old as the church.
The route upstream leads to a cave, through which the stream goes underground and then over a khud in a series of falls.
Jalawataran (Duchess Falls)
The descent is steep and the trek strenuous for almost all of the 4 km to the base of the fall's first cascade.
Sunder Kund (Saunder’s Pool)
Crossing the stream below Duchess Fall and following a footpath about 2.5 km in a south- west direction, brings one to a huge rocky pool that is excellent for a refreshing swim.
Jumuna Prapat (Bee Falls)
A spectacular fall in the stream which provides drinking water to Pachmarhi. The bathing pools above the fall are very popular.
Regarded as holy for generations, Mahadeo hill has a shrine with an idol of Lord Shiva and an impressive Shivlinga. On the East side of the hill is an excellent cave shelter with beautiful cave paintings.
A sacred spot, this is a narrow point in the valley with rocks overhanging a stream and a spring from where water cascades down.
4 kms from Mahadeo, it is one of Satpura's prominent landmarks, the summit crowned with emblems of Mahadeo worship.
A sacred cave under a mass of loose boulders in which the Jambu Dwip stream has its source. A rocky formation of this place resembles the matted locks of Lord Shiva, hence the name.
The highest point in the Satpura range, with a magnificent view of the surrounding ranges. A very popular spot for viewing sunsets.
Five ancient dwellings excavated in the sandstone rock in a low hill. Pachmarhi derives its name from these caves, which, as the legend goes, once provided sanctuary to the five Pandav brothers. These caves are now protected monuments.
Tridhara (Piccadily Circus)
A popular picnic spot where two streams meet in a junction,
Rajat Prapat (Big Fall),
Rajendragiri (Panorama Hill),
Vanshree Vihar (Pansy Pool)
A beautiful spot on the Denwa stream, cool and shady among trees, ferns and semi-tropical vegetation.
A wonderful natural amphitheater in the rock, approached through a cave-like entrance on the South-side.
Sangam (Fuller's Khud - Waters Meet)
This is the lowest of the picnic spots on the Denwa and offers fairly good bathing pools both below and above the meeting of the waters.
The Cave Shelters
Pachmarhi is also an archaeological treasure house. In cave shelters in the Mahadeo Hills is an astonishing richness in rock paintings. Most of these have been placed in the period 500-800 AD, but the earliest paintings are an estimated 10,000 years old.Some of the best cave shelters and groups of shelters around Pachmarhi are: Dhuandhar, approached from the footpath to Apsara Vihar, the paintings mostly in white include a group of archers with the typical Gond bun and hooped earrings. Bharat Neer (Dorothy Deep), has well executed animal paintings and when excavated in the 1930s yielded many pottery shards and microliths. Asthachal (Monte Rosa), there are four shelters with paintings, comparatively early linear drawings. Along the northern side of Jambu Dwip valley are some six shelters with many paintings of animals and human figures, including a detailed battle scene. Harper's Cave: So named because of one of its paintings - a man seated and playing a harp is close to the Jata Shankar Shrine. The Chieftain's Cave derives its name from a battle scene showing two chieftains on horses. A terrace that runs the length of the South, South East and East faces of Kites Crag has some fine cave paintings, the majority of which are in white or outlined in red.